Over the past years, the popularity of acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine in fertility treatment has grown in the West especially because scientific studies continue to demonstrate how effective it is.
Acupuncture is Chinese medical practice that has been used for centuries to promote health by restoring internal balance of the energies of the body. From round 3, 000 years ago, Chinese medicine has been used or treating reproductive issues in men and women. The combination of acupuncture, herbal medicine, diet and responsible lifestyle all have been used skillfully to bring about a harmonious state in the body hence a conducive environment for conception.
In-Vitro Fertilisation is basically the process where the woman’s eggs are harvested from the ovaries then the eggs are placed in a medium outside the body and mixed with sperms for fertilisation. The embryo is monitored for about five days then about two embryos are returned to the uterus for implantation. The rest of the embryos are frozen for future implantations in case the first one fails.
IVF has a success rate of 29%. Women younger than 38 years have a higher pregnancy rate of 38% live births. It greatly depends on the age of the woman and her health condition including hormonal balance, emotional state, and lifestyle.
How acupuncture treats infertility
Recent studies support the use of acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine to treat infertility. There is an increasing amount of evidence that supports the efficacy of these traditional medical practices in improving the chances of fertility through the enhancement of physiological processes that are related to reproduction. These include:
– Improves functioning of the ovaries for better egg quality.
– Reduces FSH levels in case they are elevated.
– Increase estrogen levels in the body.
– Efficiently regulates hormones for improved follicle numbers.
– Improves blood flow to ovaries and uterus for increased ovarian sensitivity, better uterine lining, and gonadotropins.
– Provides deep relaxation that induces dominance in the parasympathetic nervous system.
– Minimizes the negative effects of the ART treatment.
– Improves sperm quality.
– Increase the thickness of endometrium if it’s too thin for implantation.
– Lowes the unpleasant IVF stimulation effects around the uterine area for enhanced implantation and to improve pregnancy rates.
– Significantly reduces the rates of miscarriages and ectopic pregnancies.
– Enhances conception in IUI, IVF, FET and surrogacy.
– Helps to promote a healthy pregnancy with minimal chances of complication and ensures a healthy postpartum period.
Chinese and the West
All through the ART protocols, you can apply acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine to enhance conception. When used to complement the modern methods of preparing the body for IVF and supporting the pregnancy, acupuncture improves fertility rates. A combination of the ancient Traditional Chinese Medicine, fertility acupuncture, and western medicine significantly improves the rates of a successful IVF implantation and pregnancy.
Whether it is a natural conception or assisted reproductive therapy like IVF, research has shown that acupuncture improves the success rates by almost 60%. When structured carefully, the combination optimizes the chances of success. Preparation should take around three months for maximum benefits but even one month can bring significant improvements that make the body environment optimal for pregnancy.
This treatment adjusts the menstrual cycle or regularity, stimulates the ovaries, boosting blood circulation and improving hormonal levels for a more balanced state. It also reduces stress, a very important element in conception. This treatment period should also cover the male partner too for improved chances for the couple.
After implantation, acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine should continue for a maintained optimum condition to support the pregnancy with adequate hormonal balance and a positive state of mind. It also relieves the symptoms of pregnancy like morning sickness, fatigue and being moody. This program also includes proper nutrition and a good lifestyle for the best outcome.
Other than IVF, the Chinese medicine and acupuncture are effective in improving the chances of natural conception. Many patients have reported getting pregnant while awaiting the IVF protocol. This has been attributed to the acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine treatments they have begun in preparation for IVF. When the cause of infertility is properly diagnosed, the treatment can be customized to treat the cause for example stress, hormonal imbalance or even depression. Whatever underlying medical condition a partner has can be treated with acupuncture, therefore, increasing the chances of conception.
Acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine versus IVF
– Whereas IVF aims at increasing the number of eggs, the Chinese medication aims for egg quality. IVF increase the success rates by increasing the odds with more eggs. Traditional Chinese Medicine aims at improving the uterine lining thickness, stimulating growth, nourishing the eggs and focuses on its journey through the fallopian tubes. It also increases the number, quality, and motility of sperms or increased chances of fertilization.
– IVF seeks to harvest a lot of eggs and sperms to increase the rates of fertilization; however, the Chinese therapy works on the entire body and mind health of the partners emphasizing on the kidneys since according to the ancient Chinese medicine, kidneys are responsible for human reproduction and development.
– The traditional Chinese medicine has no side effects; in fact, it alleviates the side effects of IVF medication. It poses no side effects on the mother and baby, it has been tested for centuries and found to be holistic.
– IVF acts fast but Chinese medication works slowly, therefore, requires patience.
When working towards normal conception, IVF or just to get a better life, you should consult a certified medical practitioner with experience in acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine before you embark on the therapy. The herbal medicines are strong and may have unpredictable responses for different people. Their interaction with your current prescription medication or hormonal medication may not favor you hence the need first to consult.
There is, however, no restriction in the use acupuncture. Research has shown it improves IVF results by facilitating efficient movements on the fallopian tubes while preventing spasms in the fine muscles of the tubular walls.
A woman with an excellent endocrine status has a higher chance of conceiving and carrying a healthy pregnancy to full term. Using acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine has shown great improvement in this area for many women resulting in successful IVF treatments.
Republished by Blog Post Promoter